Sunday, July 7, 2019

Day 3, Sunday, July 7th

On every motorcycle there is usually at least one serendipitous event.  If you've not familiar with the word check out the definition:  https://www.google.com/search?q=serendipity&rlz=1C1GGGE___US557US558&oq=serendipity&aqs=chrome..69i57.4673j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This morning as I was loading the bike an elderly gentleman (like I'm not elderly myself!) approached me and asked if my bike was a Harley.  I replied as I always do:  'Of course.  Is there any other kind?'  He proceeded to tell me that he had a Harley for 65 years and sold it just a couple years ago.  I asked him 'Why didn't you call me first so I could have bought it'and we both chuckled about it.

A few minutes later he came back with a photo album and several photos of his Harley.  A 1941 Knucklehead he bought in the early 50s when he was in high school.  He bought it for $425 and sold it a couple years ago for $30,000.  Wow that's a pretty good return.

I learned his name is Dave Schue and he lives in Appleton, Wisconson, and get this he worked for Kimberly Clark in Memphis for ten years starting in the early 1960s and two of his kids were born there.  What a small world it is.

Here is 84 year young Dave and me with his photo book.


Some shots from the road.



Our first stop was at Porcupine Mountain State Park where we went to the overlook to the Lake of the Clouds.  Rode along the shore of Lake Superior for a while getting there.  This is on the western shore of the Upper Pensula.




Then we had lunch in the quaint little town of Ontonagon (I love these Native American names) at Syl's Cafe.





Of course one of the things we had to have was that quintessential UP favorite the 'pastie' which is the preferred spelling although sometime I do see it as pasty.


Yum, yum.  Now if you're not familiar with the pastie here is a pretty good article about it.

Right across the street from the cafe we had our second serendipitous event.



We had no idea the Highway 45 which we are all familiar with ran all the way from Mobile to Ontonagon.  In fact Ontonagon is the end point as you can see in the second photo.  Most impressed.

Now the Chippewa Indians called Lake Superior 'Gitche Gummee' and you will see all sorts of references to that around these parts.


A few more shots from the road on the way to the hotel in Ishpeming.  How's that for a tongue twister?




So today we rode 285 miles of glorious two lane tree lined roads and oh yes with no rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment